Protecting Your Voting Rights and Strengthening Our Democracy
Peter was in the Capitol when the violent mob attacked the heart of our democracy on January 6th – and living through that experience and its aftermath has fueled a deeper sense of urgency to protect our democracy. With Republicans in state legislatures across the country working to enact laws that will suppress Americans’ right to vote and dark money pouring into campaigns in an attempt to undermine free and fair elections, Peter has been a champion of voting rights and campaign finance and election reforms that will put power back in the hands of the people.
- Making it easier to vote
- Cosponsored and helped pass the For the People Act in the House, which aims to expand voting rights by protecting against partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts and expanding voter registration options like vote-by-mail and early voting.
- Cosponsored and helped pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, which aims to restore much-needed protections against voting restrictions and redistricting discrimination targeting voters of color.
- Getting dark money out of politics and strengthen our ethics laws
- Supports a constitutional amendment to overturn the disastrous Citizens United decision and campaign finance and election reforms that will put power back in the hands of the people.
- Preserving election integrity to ensure the peaceful transitions of power
- Cosponsored the Protecting Our Democracy Act to create a more transparent and accountable government, address abuses of presidential power, and ensure our elections are secure.