Fighting for Working Families and Rebuilding America’s Middle Class
Peter has talked with Vermonters in every corner of the state, and he knows the struggles that they face. Working Vermonters are getting squeezed by wages that don’t keep up with inflation, college degrees that create immense student debt, and a global health pandemic that’s caused massive job disruption. Women have left the workforce in staggering numbers throughout the pandemic — largely due to childcare needs, or to take care of family members at home. Meanwhile, they’re still fighting for equal pay for equal work. Peter is working in Congress to rebuild the American middle-class and create more job opportunities for American workers by prioritizing Main Street instead of Wall Street.
Ensuring every American makes a fair wage, has paid leave, and can access affordable childcare and housing
- Cosponsored Raise the Wage Act which would raise the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Supported the Paycheck Fairness Act to close the gender pay gap.
- Cosponsored the PRO Act to remove barriers to organizing and strengthening union rights.
- Supported providing up to 12 weeks of paid leave, capping the cost of childcare for most Vermont families at 7% of their income, and investing in affordable housing in the Build Back Better Act.
Rebuilding America’s infrastructure and expanding broadband connectivity
- Pushed for and strongly supported the passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to provide at least $2.2 billion to Vermont to improve our roads and bridges, invest in clean water, clean transportation, and expand advanced broadband, and more to Vermont.
- Introduced the Connecting Americans Act to invest $80 billion to provide affordable broadband to all Americans.
Creating a green job economy in the United States
- Supported the creation of a Civilian Climate Corps to combat climate change and jump-start the clean energy economy.
- Supported the House passage of the Build Back Better Act to provide the largest investment in the history of our country to address climate change, including Peter’s Hope for Homes Act to provide tax incentives for home energy retrofits.
Reducing the burden of inflation
- Supported the COMPETES Act passage in the House, which aims to build a more resilient and secure supply chain while investing in American manufacturing and technology.
- Voted for the Consumer Fuel Price Gouging Prevention Act to penalize Big Oil from profiting on global crises and bring greater transparency to the secretive industry.
- Fighting to reign in outrageous price increases from Big Pharma to save patients money at the pharmacy counter.