Addressing Racial Injustices
Peter got his start in public service in the civil rights movement, after he left college to go to Chicago to work for a community organization fighting discriminatory housing practices. There he witnessed firsthand the ways in which racism in our county is systemic and ingrained. That experience still motivates him to this day. The only way to move towards a truly equitable future is by addressing these injustices head on. Peter understands that these efforts must include environmental justice, economic justice, the protection of voting rights, and address disparities in health care and our criminal justice system.
- Cosponsor of the Green New Deal which aims to protect vulnerable low-income and minority communities from exposure to harmful or toxic chemicals and the impacts of climate change – while creating clean energy jobs.
Protecting Voting Rights
- Cosponsored and helped pass the For the People Act in the House, which aims to expand voting rights and rid politics of big dark money. It would also address partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts and expand voter registration options like vote-by-mail and early voting.
- Cosponsored the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, which aims to restore much-needed protections against voting restrictions and redistricting discrimination targeting voters of color.
Justice System Reforms
- Cosponsor of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, which establishes a framework to prevent and remedy racial profiling by law enforcement at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Cosponsor of the First Step Act, to guide housing and program assignments to reduce recidivism rates of formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Black Americans are nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than white Americans, which is one of the reasons Peter supports the federal decriminalization of marijuana.
Eliminating Health Inequities
- Cosponsored the Improving Social Determinants of Health Act, which would require the CDC to establish a program to improve health outcomes and reduce health inequities.