Making College Education Affordable and Addressing Student Loan Debt
What was once a gateway to the middle-class has become a crushing financial burden on Americans trying to achieve the American Dream of a better life. The cost of college has exploded out of control even as employers increasingly expect a degree for entry-level positions. Peter knows we need to expand access to all forms of higher education, lower the cost of attendance, and reduce the burden of student loans.
- Making college affordable
- Cosponsored the Debt Free College Act to incentivize states to achieve debt free college by unlocking matching federal funds.
- Expanding access to community college and public colleges
- Cosponsored the College for All Act to waive tuition and fees for every community college student and qualifying students at public colleges and universities.
- Reducing the burden of student loans
- Cosponsored the Pell Grant Preservation and Expansion Act to double the Pell Grant award and tie grants to inflation increases.
- Advocated for student loan forgiveness for graduates employed in public service jobs.
- Signed a letter to President Biden, calling on him to cancel up to $50,000 in federal student loan debt, per borrower.